MAJOR CLASS — DANCE
The Dance major is offered Session 2 only.
This year, students have the opportunity to be selected as a student choreographer in addition to being accepted into the dance major. Student choreographers will be guided through the process of dance-making in addition to dancing in a group routine.
Dancers interested in being selected as a student choreographer should be interested in exploring their own movement and learning how to incorporate choreographic principles into their performance pieces.
All dancers should be interested in improving proper dance technique, strength and flexibility as well as expressing excellent showmanship in stage performance.
All applicants must be:
- At an intermediate or advanced dance level.
- Have at least 3 years of previous dance experience including ballet and/or jazz.
- Hip Hop or gymnastics experience is a plus, but you MUST have additional ballet or jazz training.
- Ready to AUDITION with a dance routine that is 1-2 minutes long. You must show proper dance technique (pointed toes, proper turn-out, extended lines, etc.) and added personality & character is a plus!
Routine must include:
– grand jetés
– chaîné turns
– piqué turns (students should be able to complete both single and double)
– pirouettes (students should be able to complete both single and double)
- Levels are determined based on audition evaluation results
In addition to the above requirements, student choreographers must:
- Apply with a routine (see routine requirements above) that is self-choreographed.
- Be able to articulate an idea for the dance they would like to choreograph for a small group.
- Provide several possible music selections for their dance.
- Levels will be determined based an audition evaluation results and not all student choreographer who apply will be selected.
In the Dance major class, students will:
- Learn proper dance warm-up techniques.
- Learn strength and flexibility exercises.
- Execute proper technique in various dance combinations (including turns and jumps).
- Learn an expressive dance routine.
- Learn to express your own personal style and personality in your performance.
- Perform a show-stopping number at the end of the week!
Campers enrolled in the Dance major should also select an elective.