MAJOR CLASS — PHOTOGRAPHY
Sessions Offered: 1 & 2
Digital Media Production (Digital Slideshow) – Updated Class Format!
Digital Media Production students should have a strong interest in expanding their basic photography skills and experience to create a compelling visual story, by combining digital photography, video, music, and graphic arts to create the Sugarloaf end-of-camp slideshow, our very own Sugarloaf yearbook each session!
Our traditional slideshow program is expanding this year with fun new projects and activities! Students in this class should be prepared to:
- Have a fun experience and bring a positive attitude.
- Get excited about project assignments, lead by example, and be self-directed.
- Take responsibility to try new things.
- Star as an official Sugarloaf camp photographer to capture the best of classes, activities, friendships, and “llama–love” known as the Sugarloaf Spirit!
- Work cooperatively and positively with the instructor and classmates, forming a tight-knit group.
- Be active in planning and working closely with your team.
- Ask a lot of questions with the instructor to select and highlight your best work.
- Be willing to take on some “out-of-class time” assignments such as shooting during recreation, meals, and evening events.
Students are expected to have strong artistic composition skills with a firm grasp of photography exposure basics, so they can hit the ground running during the first class. They work independently in the computer lab and out in the camp environment on daily tasks during this fast-paced class and work closely with classmates and the instructor.
Class enrollment is limited to five campers in each session and the group meets during both the major class sessions and the elective sessions. Students do not select a separate elective. The instructor will be contacting enrolled students prior to camp to talk about plans and ideas so your class can be ready to go when camp finally gets here!
- Completed 8th grade and have attended at least one prior year of Sugarloaf Camp in any major.
- Possess solid photographic skills in composition, exposure, and camera operation.
- Completed at least two years in either Black & White Film Photography or Digital Photography at Sugarloaf and/or have other photography class experience outside of camp that can be verified.
Media Equipment Requirements
Students are encouraged to bring a fully-adjustable digital camera, memory card with enough storage to store video files, a battery charger, and other accessories. The camera can be a DSLR (digital single lens reflex) or a simpler model that still has the ability to select exposure modes (including manual), shutter speeds, and apertures using knobs, rings, or buttons.
- Do not bring a “point and shoot” camera or a model that requires changing exposure through a menu requiring several steps.
- Students without a DSLR can reserve a camp loaner camera by contacting the Photography Program Director, John Echols at 530-913-5457. Loaner cameras will be assigned on the first day of class.
SPECIAL NOTE: The total fee for this class is $525, which includes a lab fee of $25 to help defray additional costs, including media, software, computers, and cameras.