MAJOR CLASS — DANCE
The Dance major is offered Session 2 only.
Students should be interested in improving proper dance technique, strength and flexibility as well as expressing excellent showmanship in stage performance.
Requirements (Please note that Dance Major Requirements have changed as of 2013):
All applicants must be:
- At an intermediate or advanced dance level
- Have at least 2 years of previous dance experience including ballet and/or jazz
- Hip Hop or gymnastics experience is a plus, but you MUST have additional ballet or jazz training
Ready to AUDITION with your own choreographed routine. This must be at least 64 counts (no more than 1 minute long). You must show proper dance technique (pointed toes, proper turn-out, extended lines, etc.) and added personality & character is a plus!
Routine must include:
- grand jete(s)
- pique turn(s)
- chaine turn(s)
- pas de bouree(s)
- pivot turn(s)
- Levels are determined based on audition evaluation results
In the Dance major class, students will:
- Learn proper dance warm-up techniques.
- Learn strength and flexibility exercises.
- Execute proper technique in various dance combinations (including turns and jumps).
- Learn an expressive musical theatre based dance routine.
- Learn to express your own personal style and personality in your performance.
- Perform a show-stopping number at the end of the week!
Campers enrolled in the Dance major should also select an elective.